BT GES Specialist Unit Manager - Pipeline in GBR, United Kingdom
KEY PURPOSE OF ROLE
The role holder provides in-depth technical expertise, influence and leadership exploiting systems and technology to deliver business and cost transformation aligned to business strategy to deliver efficient customer solutions. He/she may contribute to the formulation of network, technology, systems and information strategy and evolution plans.
The role holder takes a lead role on programmes and projects that are ultimately game-changing to our customers and are imperative to their success, using their extensive technical experience and delivering through their team. The role holder meets business objectives, solves business problems and furthers business success by applying industry, applications and technical knowledge through the definition of high level solutions. In addition he/she may work proactively with the business to define new product developments. The role holder may manage strategic investment and financial control for the delivery of end to end integrated solutions.
The role holder should leverage the experience of the relevant BT wide professional communities to discharge these responsibilities, thus ensuring knowledge sharing extends beyond the functional boundary of the role. The role holder may also play a key part in the BT wide professional communities and external professional bodies.
He/she leads a substantial and adaptive team, ensuring their skills match the programmes of work at the highest level through strong performance management, effective training strategy and best-in-class coaching and development.
• Delivers outstanding bespoke solutions to our customers, building on our reputation for excellence in delivery and growing our market share
• Leads, mentors and coaches the delivery teams across multiple sites
• Maintains critical in life service on the platforms/solutions the role holder is responsible for
• Works on technical projects for their managers or sponsors independently with guidance only on result not on the approach. This may involve working alone or as part of a wider project team, managing specific tasks.
• Responsible for leading, managing and developing teams or managing people for specific tasks or projects.
• Creates reports and makes recommendations to managers and project sponsors.
• Provides analytical and innovative input to projects as well as leading on negotiations.
• Leads teams involved in the delivery of specific tasks associated with specialist bespoke delivery for our customers.
• Leads the development and implementation of policies and procedures.
• Works with internal, external and third party suppliers.
• Acts as a key contributor and provides expert advice to other groups on technical and operational issues.
• Oversees production of cost/ timescale solutions/ options and manages expectations as appropriate with customer or Business Unit/ LoB teams.
• Personally participates in and contributes to BT wide professional community activities where applicable e.g. knowledge sharing, best practice within BT and external industry – this also applies to other customer suppliers/partners.
• Uses the relevant BT wide professional community framework to raise their skills and those of their team to the recommended PC standards.
• Individual is qualified to at least Degree Level or career experience-equivalent with ample technical delivery experience from requirements capture to in-life support.
• Experience in building and leading a unit of multi-disciplined technical delivery personnel, driving a high performance culture through strong performance management.
• Strong track record in directing both line managed and virtual teams to deliver bespoke, highly complex software, networking or security products and solutions across disparate locations.
• Experience in project management of technical delivery.
• Expert knowledge of the development process, lifecycles and methodologies.
• Significant knowledge of low level programming across multiple platforms with experience in delivering bespoke solutions to our customers.
• Recognised Expert level knowledge in some of the following areas: Software Engineering, Networks, Big Data Storage & Analysis, Cyber and Security.
• Proven experience of tracking, evaluation and implementation of emerging technologies.
• Track record of driving change and engaging with disparate stakeholders. Evidence of having defined and driven strategies to improve T, C & Q through the use of best practise toolsets and methodologies across a team.
• High degree of commercial awareness and proven record of developing new business with customers.
• Experienced in leading technical responses to complex customer requirements.
• Confident working and influencing at a senior level, both within BT and customers.
• He/She must either have or be capable of achieving and maintaining full Security Clearance at DV level.
• Maintains a reputation for quality and delivery of their expertise to the business.
• Contributes to the definition of strategy and evolution and/ or associated infrastructure investments for Group/ LoB.
• Responsible for engineering delivery plans for programmes.
• Contributes to the transformation strategy for a network, platform or technology discipline in own area of expertise.
• Leads and mentors team(s) to provide technical / professional solutions to new innovative services.
• Works under broad direction.
• Leads a team of c.20 Professional Engineers.
• Full accountability for own technical work or project/ management responsibilities.
• Receives assignments in the form of objectives.
• Establishes own milestones, team objectives and delegates assignments.
• Work is often self-initiated.
• Budget responsibility varies depending on the lines of business and project/programme delivery responsibility
Five Key Skills
Significant knowledge of low level programming or system engineering solutions across multiple platforms with experience in delivering bespoke solutions to our customers.
Experience in building and leading a unit of multi-disciplined technical delivery personnel, driving a high performance culture through strong performance management.
Recognised expert level knowledge in some of the following areas: Software/System Engineering, Networks, Big Data Storage & Analysis and Security.
Expert knowledge of IVV&T, systems/continuous integration and systems engineering practice
Detailed knowledge of development methodologies including agile and waterfall.
Cheltenham - Candidate would require DV Security Clearance.
Job: IT, Systems and Security
Title: GES Specialist Unit Manager - Pipeline
Location: GBR %26 Ireland-GBR
Requisition ID: 66303
Other Locations: UK %26 Ireland-United Kingdom-Gloucestershire-Cheltenham