BT Oracle Database IT Infrastructure Engineer (Sheffield) in Sheffield, United Kingdom
Oracle Database IT Infrastructure Engineer
Purpose of Role
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Oracle Database IT Infrastructure Engineer to join us and be responsible for the support of the Production Oracle database estate. You will provide technical support, resolving escalated technical issues within their own work area. This covers all areas of ICT such as systems and applications software, database management, network services, data and systems security.
Some of the things you’ll be doing:
• This role operates on a shift basis –(typically 4 days on and 4 days off). It will comprise of a 12 hour shift running 7am to 7pm ‘days’ or 7pm to 7am ‘nights’. This role is based in Sheffield.
Provide a first contact point to investigate and resolve all incidents raised for the supported database estate.
• Day to day operational management, incident management and case resolution.
• Implementation of database change activity.
• Manage escalation of complex issues to more senior engineers if appropriate, interacting with external teams within BT as necessary e.g. Application Support groups, Server support, problem management team.
• Ability to raise support cases to, and interact with, the software vendor to assist with issues associated with or impacting Oracle database operations.
• Personally participate in and contribute to BT wide professional community activities where applicable e.g. knowledge sharing, best practice within BT and external industry.
• Use the relevant BT wide professional community framework to raise their skills and those of their team to the recommended standards.
• Freely share expertise with peers.
• Support the development and implementation of unit policies and procedures.
• Work closely with the BT Delivery Unit DBA teams.
Qualifications & Experience Required:
• Typically engineering/science degree or has served a technical apprenticeship and obtained further education technical qualifications.
• Typically has obtained some appropriate recognised Oracle University accreditation (i.e. OCA, OCP).
- A strong understanding of working with and debugging Oracle RAC, as well as running Database performance investigations (up to and including Oracle v12c).
Ideal Experience preferable, but not essential:
Experience of Oracle Application Express
• Knowledge and use of Oracle Enterprise Manager (OEM).
• Working knowledge of Storage and Networks.
• Ability to work with Network Administrators to diagnose server - client connectivity issues.
At BT, we’re creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed. Diversity makes sense for us, for our customers and for our future.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re happy to consider ways of working that will mean you can perform at your best. If you want to talk about working part-time or as a job share in this role, please apply and we’ll do our best to get the balance right.
Job: IT, Systems and Security
Title: Oracle Database IT Infrastructure Engineer (Sheffield)
Location: GBR %26 Ireland-GBR-South Yorkshire-Sheffield
Requisition ID: 67943