BT Lead Consultant/Manager, S&IT in Bangalore, India
Key Purpose of the Role
As a Lead Engineer you are responsible for leading a team who develop software applications as required by business projects. You ensure the team have everything they need to produce requirements, design solutions, write code and test to high quality. You support and facilitate the deployment of software to production, ensuring third line support is provided for all production systems. You are highly tuned to the needs of the team and provide regular coaching, working with stakeholders to remove impediments to enable the team to succeed.
Using your wide experience of software delivery models, you own areas of process and policy and encourage the whole team to contribute to improving standards within the department. You understand the importance of knowledge dissemination within the team and coordinate regular events to ensure expertise is shared.
You are a key stakeholder in customer, team and department strategy and will regularly assist the business in determining current and future priorities and direction.
As a technology enthusiast you keep up to date with the latest developments in the IT industry. You bring your inspirations into the workplace to apply industry best practice and champion innovation within Plusnet.
Key Responsibilities & Job Standards
• Provide leadership to the team.
• Lead design and delivery of all project components.
• Ensure all problems are resolved within SLA.
• Lead and facilitate team planning, sizing, prioritisation and capacity plans.
• Follow and pro-actively inspect processes and standards. You will own some processes and standards and ensure the whole department comply with these.
• Continuously improve quality of products.
• Set the bar for quality within the team.
• Inspect and review the work of the team, ensuring all work meets quality benchmarks.
• Share knowledge through documentation, presentations and coaching. Ensure knowledge held within the team is disseminated to the department.
• Personal development and improvement of skill set.
• Keeping up to date with the latest developments in your field.
• Ensure the teams work complies with legal, regulatory and policy constraints.
• Provide training to the department in fields of expertise.
• Facilitate regular team and individual 1:1 meetings.
• Ensure each member of the team has a set of objectives and a personal development plan.
• Ensure each member of the team is given development opportunities.
• Regularly review and manage performance with appropriate rewards and feedback.
• Provide input into the annual plan.
• Contribute to the recruitment process including leading interviews.
• Manage team holidays and absences and ensure coverage is provided to enable the team to meet its commitments.
• Manage the delivery of high quality software solutions in a multi-tiered architecture.
• Manage the team testing strategy, ensuring unit, acceptance and integration tests are produced with high coverage.
• Strive to maintain the green builds at all times, coaching the team in 'green' culture and coordinate responses to failed builds.
• May be asked to provide operational support for released software and cover out of hours rollout and on-call activities
• Research new tools, techniques and processes and introduce these to the team and the department.
• Record sprint outputs as per standard with other teams.
• Maintains a reputation for quality and delivery of their expertise to the business.
• Contributes to the definition of strategy and evolution and/or associated infrastructure investments for Group/LoB.
• Responsible for engineering delivery plans for larger projects/programmes.
• Contributes to the transformation strategy for a network, platform or technology discipline in own area of expertise.
• Manages team(s) to provide technical professional solutions and new innovative services.
• Works under broad direction.
• Full accountability for own technical work or project/management responsibilities.
• Receives assignments in the form of objectives.
• Establishes own milestones, team objectives and delegates assignments.
• Work is often self-initiated.
• Budget responsibility varies depending on the lines of business and project/programme delivery responsibility.
• Experienced and fully competent in own area.
• Acts as a key contributor in a complex/critical environment.
• Ability to lead and motivate cross functional teams to ensure delivery to cost, quality and time.
• May co-ordinate activities of others/the team (team leader).
• Has depth of expertise in more than one area.
• Applies knowledge/skills to a range of activities.
• Acts as a source of technical expertise to others in own area.
• Interprets client needs, assessing the full requirements, identifying solutions to standard and non-standard tasks/queries and offering assistance even when not asked.
• Interprets internal/external business issues and recommended best practice in own discipline and makes changes to own and others work to meet these.
• Manages costs for specific projects.
• Manages own time to meet agreed targets.
• Develops plans for projects in own area over the medium term, including forecasting/organising all resource requirements and finance.
• Able to explain difficult concepts to a variety of audiences and to ensure that the meaning is understood.
• Creates informal networks with key contacts outside own area.
• Has a comprehensive understanding of professional communities relevant to the LOB and uses the PC development framework to maximise the potential of themselves, their team and the wider BT team.
May have a degree qualification (engineering) - B.E/B.Tech/M.E/M.Tech
Qualified to be and possibly member of a professional engineering/science institution and working towards chartered engineer accreditation. Relevant professional experience
Knowledge of AMdocs suite of products - Excalibur/Billing/Rating/Mediation
BSS - Billing and or rating knowledge
Job: IT, Systems and Security
Title: Lead Consultant/Manager, S&IT
Requisition ID: 78386