BT AC Power Specialist (On-site generation) in Hatfield, United Kingdom
AC Power Specialist (On-site generation)
Hatfield, Brentwood, Ipswich, Birmingham, Manchester, Bristol, Sheffield, Cardiff
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
Our purpose is to use the power of communication to make a better world; for each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. Environmental Services deliver the supporting activities which ensure network capacity, reliability and energy reduction.
You will act as a specialist/consultant to assigned projects covering AC / Standby Power systems in our Network and Data Centre estate. You will play a key role in the design and expansion of BT’s 21C Core network over the next 3-5 years.
What you'll be doing
As a member of the Team you will be a key contributor in delivering power in our Network and Datacentres. You will be accountable for ensuring your budget is spent and managed to meet business commitments, ensuring the power programme is kept on track. This will be in the order of £15 to £20m.
As a specialist in electrical engineering and associated control systems, you will specify detailed technical power requirements, set policy, create designs, place orders and prepare detailed specifications for larger complex power projects.
Stakeholder management is crucial to the job, you will produce reports, brief the wider organisation on progress and ensure our suppliers are well informed.
You’ll be responsible for providing technical due diligence over power equipment suppliers and their associated sub-contractors, to ensure compliance to BT infrastructure installation standards and BT safe working practices.
You will work as part of a team of technical people who supply a range of complex infrastructure solutions and activities that are critical to BT’s customer service.
You will provide technical support and documentation to Network Field Units on power systems and power supervisory systems.
You will provide policy, performance specifications, standards, planning, installation, commissioning and maintenance documentation and guidance on Power equipment and distribution.
We'll also need to see these on your CV
• Specialist in power, specifically Standby generation and AC infrastructure and its implementation and operation in networks and datacentres
• You will be a qualified to BS7671 18th Edition
• You will have a solid academic electrical engineering background (BEng, HND, HNC), or the equivalent demonstrable work experience
• You will have demonstrable practical experience of: on-site power generation, UPS Systems, AC Switch-gear, HV Power, Fuel tanks & storage
• You will have in depth working knowledge of The Electricity at Work Act, The Health and Safety at Work Act & Construction Design Management Regulations
• You will be a HV Designated Person
• You will be Pressure Systems Safety Regulations (PSSR) Designated Person
• A detailed working knowledge of BT’s power estate.
• Accredited Commercial Client / Principle Designer under Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015
• A proven delivery track record of M&E infrastructure project delivery
• Practical knowledge of applying BT’s Project & Programme Management Methodology
• An understanding of finance structures and reporting systems. In particular iBuy and Finance OBI.
• Working knowledge of Power systems utilised by BT, along with their cooling requirements.
• Comfortable in developing your expertise into emerging technology areas with minimal training.
• An understanding of network monitoring systems and implementation practices.
• Ability to deal with multiple competing suppliers.
• An understanding of commercial litigation and warranty claims
• You will have experience of delivering capital and current account programmes of work.
• You will have experience in resolving poor environmental performance issues
• An awareness of IP networking and the building of supporting architectures.
• A working knowledge of Exchange Services processes and procedures.
• Good stakeholder management skills
• Ability to effectively manage geographically dispersed people, including matrix management
• Ability to translate complex issues into simple explanations
• Excellent Excel and PowerPoint skills
• Ideally holds SC clearance or has ability to achieve it
• Full UK Driving licence and willingness to travel extensively in the UK
Why choose us?
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
Job: Network Planning and Design
Title: AC Power Specialist (On-site generation)
Location: GBR %26 Ireland-GBR-Hertfordshire-Hatfield
Requisition ID: 96704